I love this recipe because it is simple + gluten-free + soy-free + dairy-free + vegan. It's healthy and my 3 kids love it! #momwin
Did you get an Instant Pot months ago and haven't even taken it out of the box? I hear that a lot. I get it. Learning yet another kitchen appliance seems daunting, but this one will change your life. I mean it. No more waiting around for 6-8 hours for your meal to cook. The same meal will take a fraction of the time. Not only does an electric pressure cooker save you time, it saves on flavor, texture, and nutrients. The longer you cook something, the more nutrients it loses. More on that on my blog post, Instant Pot Hacks.
Moral of the story: don't be scared!
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups brown rice (hence the quotation marks around Risotto...usually it's made with Arborio rice, but brown rice is healthier and works great.)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Remove lid from Instant Pot and press Sauté.
2. Heat coconut oil, add onion, salt, and pepper, and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
3. Add rice; stirring constantly about 1 minute until rice is coated with oil.
4. Add ½ cup water and stir until water is absorbed.
5. Stir in remaining ½ cup water, squash, and broth.
6. Close and lock on lid of Instant Pot making sure pressure is set to “Sealing.” Using “Manual,” cook on high pressure for 22 minutes.
7. When timer beeps, use quick release by turning valve to “Venting.” Turn Instant Pot off.
8. Use potato masher to mash butternut squash to desired consistency.
9. Stir in nutritional yeast, serve, and enjoy!
Yields: 6-8 servings
Side note: I usually double this recipe in my 8 quart Instant Pot because my family devours this and leftovers makes my life easier.