As a Nutrition Consultant, I love helping people make healthier choices that affects the way they live. I coach people to ask questions about the way they have always done things. So many people live the way they have always lived, feeling the way they have always felt without attributing their negative symptoms to those choices. That's just it: we have choices. I help people be more intentional about the choices they are making and it has changed so many lives.
Farm over Pharma
A client that I just started working with has had a soy protein shake every single day for the last 20 years. She also struggles with intense migraines every single day. She has visited top neurologists trying to find relief and not one doctor has talked to her about food choices. After her 20 minute complimentary health consultation, I was bound and determined to help her.
With the help of the 30 Day Transformation, my client has eliminated acidic, allergenic, and inflammatory foods, like soy, for 30 days. There are a lot of weight loss programs out there, but they are ineffective if it doesn't address the type of food you eat. 80% of our health stems from our gut and the gut is affected by our diet. Many of the health problems that people experience are directly related to their food habits. The point of this program is to eat a more alkaline diet by eliminating dairy, gluten, soy, and processed sugar for 30 days. 1 week in and she has been migraine-free for 3 days. That is why I do what I do!
Soy is very similar to gluten in that it is in everything! If it is gluten-free, it likely has some sort of soy derivative in it. Over 90% of soy produced in the US is genetically modified which means it contains GMOs. The majority of that soy is fed to animals that we then eat. This is why looking for the Organic label is so important. Organic = Non-GMO.
All things in moderation is a cliche that I do not apply when it comes to Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs). To me, the question is not whether GMOs are harmful, but whether the pesticides used on that food we consume are harmful.
If our food is designed to resist strong pesticides, does that give you the warm fuzzies about eating it?
Food and products that contain or often contain soy:
For a list of where SOY is hiding in foods you eat every day, check out this list from Megan Telpner. This also includes chocolate. For the love!
- Bean sprouts
- Bread crumbs, cereals and crackers
- Breaded foods
- Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP), hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP) and hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
- Imitation dairy food
- Infant formula, follow-up formula, nutrition supplements for toddlers and children
- Meal replacements
- Meat products with fillers, for example, burgers and prepared ground meat products
- Mexican foods, for example, chili, taco fillings and tamales
- Nutrition supplements
- Sauces, for example, soy, shoyu, tamari, teriyaki, Worcestershire
- Simulated fish and meat products, for example, surimi, imitation bacon bits, vegetarian burgers
- Stews, for example, in gravies
- Vegetarian dishes
Other possible sources of soy:
- Baked goods and baking mixes
- Beverage mixes, for example, hot chocolate and lemonade
- Canned tuna and minced hams, for example, seasoned or mixed with other ingredients for flavour
- Chewing gum
- Cooking spray, margarine, vegetable shortening and vegetable oil
- Dressings, gravies and marinades
- Frozen desserts
- Milled corn
- Meat products with fillers, for example, preprepared hamburger patties, hotdogs and cold cuts
- Seafood -based products and fish
- Seasoning and spices
- Snack foods, for example, soy nuts
- Soups, broths, soup mixes and stocks
- Soy pasta
- Spreads, dips, mayonnaise and peanut butter (like "butter" at restaurants)
- Thickening agents
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG) (may contain hydrolyzed protein)
Non-food sources of soy
- Cosmetics and soaps
- Craft materials
- Milk substitutes for young animals
- Pet food